Thursday, July 30, 2009

College?

Here I am 2 years after I've graduated high school, and I'm still not in college. My goal is to start classes in January. But its not easy. My step-dad makes too much money, so I couldn't get finacial aid. So I'm stuck with hopefully finding some good grants and scholarships and saving my money. It has taken me forever to decide what I want to go to school for. First, it was to be a lawyer. Second, Wedding Planner. Third, Inteior Designer. Fourth, Culinary Arts. Now I think i finally now what I want. Major in Event Planning and minor in Inteior Design. Then maybe do a little something in Culinary.
What I find so destrurbing, is that the government thinks your parents are supposed to pay for your college education until the age of 25 even if you don't live with them!! Where did they come up with this? My parents don't pay for anything of mine. I've been paying for everthing myself since I turned 16! I pay my own phone bill, car payment, car insurance, and everything else. So, tell me why my parents need to pay for my education?
I understand back in the days when parents did pay for their children's education. Back then, it didn't cost as much. But now, its crazy how much it cost to higher your education just to get a decent job.
I've looked into getting loans, but my credit is so bad, that I don't think I'll be able to get one. And if I could, what happens when I graduate college and then I have to start paying my loan payments, but I can't find a job? You aren't guarantee that you'll have a good paying job as soon as you graduate.